Unfiled Tax Returns – 5 filing tips

Unfiled Tax Returns – 5 filing tips

Posted by Michael S. Anderson | May 15, 2011 | 0 Comments

Unfiled Tax Returns -5 tips

1. Mail them. Late tax returns can't be filed electronically. They must be mailed in and to a specific address. Visit the IRS. Gov website to find the address that most accurately fits your description.

2. Hand deliver the returns. If time is of the essence and you need proof that you filed a particular return by a certain date,make a photocopy of the return and take the original and the copy to the IRS office locally.The stamped photo copy proves where and when.

3. Send certified. Certified mail provides proof that each return was received by the IRS. Do it. Don't take chances. If you don't send by certified mail, than follow up with the IRS to make sure they recieved the return by asking for an “account transcipt” that will show a return was filed by you and when.

4. Mail in separate envelopes. If sending certified, mailing separately will ensure each return has it's own date stamp and certified mail receipt. This could come in handy later when the IRS says they didn't recieve it on time or at all. This may also prevent the IRS from missing a return altogether that has been lumped together with others.

5. Speak to counsel. If you have a number of unfiled returns, it may be wise to speak with a tax attorney as you begin the process.

About the Author

Michael S. Anderson

Michael Anderson has been representing Arizona clients with tax debt problems for two decades and has helped his clients eliminate millions of dollars in tax debt. His tax debt practice is limited to helping individuals and the self-employed who have serious IRS problems.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment


Aenean lacinia bibendum nulla sed consectetur. Donec sed odio dui. Maecenas sed diam eget risus varius blandit sit amet non magna. Nulla vitae elit libero, a pharetra augue. Curabitur blandit tempus porttitor. Morbi leo risus, porta ac consectetur ac, vestibulum at eros. Cras justo odio, dapibus ac facilisis in, egestas.

Contact Us Today

If you have an IRS problem, call our office and ask to speak with the Attorney about it. We like to discuss the situation on the phone for free to ask you some questions, answer some of yours, and to determine whether it may make sense for us to help. We’ve helped several thousand clients with tax debt problems over the last two decades. We’ll tell you the truth about your options and help you find the best one.